Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 00:08:16 EST

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Reiser3 lets a directory have more than 32000 subdirectories already.
I ran into this problem two weeks ago on an ext3 filesystem and found
Reiser didn't have the problem. My reiser3 directory had 1million+
subdirs before I killed my test program.

I believe it still has a similar limit on the number of hard links,
but it doesn't implement ".." as a hard link.

--Pete

NetWare has always supported more than this, so this whole idea of fixed inode tables is somewhat strange to me to start with. I am still looking through Hans code, but if this is accurate I'll just take a system out Monday and see if it works. My only concern with Reiser has to do with the bug reports I've seen on it over the years, but Suse is shipping it as default, and we have been running it here for about a year on a production server. I'll post if it crashes, corrupts data, or has problems.

Jeff

Don't use it on redhat systems, those bug reports tend to be for redhat kernels, redhat refuses to apply our bugfixes that we send in to the official kernel because they want us to look bad. I sound so paranoid when I say that, but they really do refuse to apply our bugfixes.

ReiserFS V3 has been very stable for quite some time in 2.4.x. There were some instabilities recently in some versions of 2.6.x due to code changes not by our team. sigh....

We at Namesys are much more conservative in code changes for V3 than ext*. I can't control some of the changes by SuSE though that have added some bugs that could have been caught by more serious QA. (SuSE adheres to the usual linux lack of QA approach, it is not that they are bad, but that they conform to the social norm for linux.) Hopefully I will have more control over that in V4.

Hans