RE: 3ware 9500S Drivers (mm kernel)

From: Bruce Allen
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 17:27:26 EST

Peter, Jurgen, Claudio,

> > I am also working with Bruce Allen (smartmontools developer) to make
> > the 3w-9xxx driver work with smartmontools. This shouldn't require
> > any driver changes.
>
> This should happen on the timescale of two weeks. I've got a 9500 series
> controller on hand and some SATA disks on order. Once the disks arrive,
> with Adam's help it shouldn't take me long to get smartmontools working on
> the 9500 series controllers.
>
> The most novel aspect is that this will use the driver's character device
> interface rather than the block interface.

I've now checked code into CVS for this, so smartmontools now can be used
with 3ware/AMCC 9000 series controllers (3w-9xxx driver). Many thanks to
Adam Radford for his help with this.

I'd be grateful if you could give it a try and report back. I'm especially
interested in reports about 64-bit or big-endian (or both) hardware.

You'll need to follow the instructions at http://smartmontools.sf.net/ to
check a copy out of CVS and build it. You'll have to use the 'character
device' syntax to address the disks, for example:

./smartctl -a -d 3ware,0 /dev/twa0
./smartctl -a -d 3ware,1 /dev/twa0
./smartctl -a -d 3ware,2 /dev/twa0

for the first three disks on the first controller, and

./smartctl -a -d 3ware,0 /dev/twa1
./smartctl -a -d 3ware,1 /dev/twa1

for the first two disks on the second controller. Likewise use /dev/twa?
in /etc/smartd.conf.

If you don't have the /dev/twa? devices on your system, please run the
tw_cli or 3dmd tools once: this will automatically create the /dev/twa?
nodes.

I've also added support for 6000/7000/8000 cards to use the character
device interface /dev/twe?. These devices can ALSO use the SCSI interface
via /dev/sd?

Cheers,
Bruce