Re: 2.6.7-mm6

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Tue Jul 06 2004 - 18:37:24 EST

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 05:54:38AM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> Uneventful on alpha, needed a make rpm compilefix Andi's got queued for
> the next merge on x86-64 and otherwise uneventful there.
> OTOH, various things made sparc64 a living Hell that took about 9
> hours of solid compile/boot/crash drudgery to carry out bisection
> search on to find the offending patches.
> First, I had to back out bk-input because it has a sysfsification patch
> that deadlocks sunzilog.c at boot.
> Second, I had to back out those scheduler cleanups because it appears
> that one of those scheduler cleanups deadlocks the system during
> secondary wakeup.
> Third, some naive check for undefined symbols failed to understand the
> relocation types indicating that a given operand refers to some hard
> register, which manifest as undefined symbols in ELF executables. A
> patch to refine its criteria, which I used to build with, follows. rmk
> and hpa have some other ideas on this undefined symbol issue I've not
> quite had the opportunity to get a clear statement of yet.
> If it could be arranged so that the authors of the bk-input and
> scheduler patches fix their code prior to merging, I'd be much obliged.

Nick, of these:
#sched-clean-init-idle.patch
#sched-clean-fork.patch
#sched-clean-fork-rename-wake_up_new_process-wake_up_new_task.patch
#sched-misc-cleanups-2.patch
#sched-unlikely-rt_task.patch
#sched-misc.patch
#sched-misc-fix-rt.patch
#sched-no-balance-clone.patch
#sched-remove-balance-clone.patch
#sched-fork-hotplug-cleanuppatch.patch

I have it isolated down to the sched-clean-init-idle.patch and
sched-clean-fork.patch. sched-clean-init-idle.patch fails to build without
the second of those two applied, so I didn't do any work to narrow it down
further.

-- wli