Re: Parentage of BPF code in Linux

From: John Sage
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 14:01:42 EST

Matt:

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 01:43:55PM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:43:55 -0500
> From: Matt Mackall <mpm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: John Sage <jsage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Parentage of BPF code in Linux
>
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:10:02AM -0700, John Sage wrote:
> > [Non-subscriber: please cc on replies]
> >
> > WRT to the SCO/IBM/Linux imbroglio, there was an interesting
> > assertion made on the Yahoo! Finance message board for SCOX, and I
> > wondered if anyone could shed some light.
> >
> > The assertion is this:
> >
> > "...among other things, the Berkeley Packet Filter code, which was
> > written by an independent developer for the Missouri School
> > District, licensed under the BSD license terms that never was part
> > of SysV at any time..."
>
> There's a from-scratch reimplementation of BPF in Linux (called
> Linux Socket Filter) by Jay Schulist in net/core/filter.c. And he
> appears to have worked for the _Wisconsin_ school district at the
> time. A Google search on "schulist filter wisconsin" reveals:
>
> Jay Schulist, a senior software engineer with Pleasanton,
> California's Bivio Networks says he wrote the 500 lines of code in
> 1997 as part of a volunteer project for the Stevens Point Area
> Catholic Schools in Wisconsin. "I used it for helping a local
> school district in my home town to connect their old Apple
> Macintosh machines to the Internet," he said.

Interesting.

Thank you.

And there it is:

/*
* Linux Socket Filter - Kernel level socket filtering
*
* Author:
* Jay Schulist <jschlst@xxxxxxxxx>
*
* Based on the design of:
* - The Berkeley Packet Filter

/* snip */

The only other reference I've been able to find to this "Missouri
School District/BPF" meme was in a post to a ZDNet message board back
in November, 2003...

- John
--
10 print "Home"