Re: Parentage of BPF code in Linux

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 13:49:27 EST

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:10:02AM -0700, John Sage wrote:
> [Non-subscriber: please cc on replies]
>
> WRT to the SCO/IBM/Linux imbroglio, there was an interesting assertion
> made on the Yahoo! Finance message board for SCOX, and I wondered if
> anyone could shed some light.
>
> The assertion is this:
>
> "...among other things, the Berkeley Packet Filter code, which was
> written by an independent developer for the Missouri School District,
> licensed under the BSD license terms that never was part of SysV at
> any time..."

There's a from-scratch reimplementation of BPF in Linux (called Linux
Socket Filter) by Jay Schulist in net/core/filter.c. And he appears to
have worked for the _Wisconsin_ school district at the time. A Google
search on "schulist filter wisconsin" reveals:

Jay Schulist, a senior software engineer with Pleasanton,
California's Bivio Networks says he wrote the 500 lines of code in
1997 as part of a volunteer project for the Stevens Point Area
Catholic Schools in Wisconsin. "I used it for helping a local school
district in my home town to connect their old Apple Macintosh machines
to the Internet," he said.