Re: In-kernel Authentication Tokens (PAGs)

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Sat Jun 12 2004 - 00:39:54 EST

Kyle Moffett wrote:

On Jun 11, 2004, at 23:13, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

I like the idea of having some kernel support for tokens.

But why PAGs? I imagine tokens as being independent objects without
any hierarchy. A token group is a set of tokens. The operations on tokens
are:

If you really need a hierarchy, then you could allow token groups to contain
other token groups, with the rule that the whole thing must be acyclic.

I think my vocabulary here is confusing, what you refer to as a token group, I refer to as a PAG. The idea for the hierarchy is that it is frequently desirable to start a sub-shell with a temporarily different set of tokens, or to mask out only a certain token without modifying the rest.

Right. But I think it would be desirable to do other things -- for example, a program might want to forward one token over to a daemon to do some work. It doesn't make much sense here to have a hierarchial structure.

BTW, does AFS even have this hierarchy, or does pagsh just create a copy? I can't find any manpage for it...

--Andy