Re: Re: building MINIX on LINUX using gcc

From: James Buchanan
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 04:02:22 EST

http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/minix/

> What can I do to make it loadable by GRUB or so. I understand that /minix is a concatination of the various a.outs. Can I write a tiny executable
> that will get loaded by GRUB that loaded /minix beyond 1M. Are there many initializations that need to be done before this?

You have to modify the startup code to accept the multiboot structure
and do something with it. You can compile it into an ELF image if you
want to, nothing wrong with that. Then compile the MM and FS tasks as
a.out executables and specify them as modules on the GRUB command line,
and load them from the kernel to the place you want them (much easier
than the nasty way it's done so far). You'd need to make extensive
modifications.

I suggest using GRUB to chainload instead. You put the Minix bootsector
and boot program into the Minix partition and GRUB can chainload from
there. No modification of sources needed for that.

Minix expects certain areas of its compiled binary to be patched by
boot, so don't make it a multiboot compliant kernel and load the servers
separately without knowing what you're doing. So chainloading with GRUB
is by far the easiest way to go.

Have fun :)

James