WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

From: Mike McCormack
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 00:04:18 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Just out of interest - how many legacy apps are broken by this? I assume
it's a non-zero number, but wouldn't mind to be happily surprised.

Wine depends upon being able to execute code on the heap, and there are probably Windows EXEs that depend upon being able to execute code on the stack.

Fedore Code 1's exec-shield patch broke Wine badly, as there was no way for an application to turn it off from user space, and Wine depended upon certain areas of virtual memory being free.

We developed a hack to work around this problem by creating a staticly linked binary to reserve memory then load ld-linux.so.2 and a dynamically executable into memory manually and run start them.

So, just to confirm, an executable will be able to be built so that it can request an executable stack and heap using PT_GNU_STACK or something like that, right?

thanks,

Mike