Re: SERIO_USERDEV patch for 2.6

From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 10:12:28 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 June 2004 05:23 pm, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> > Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > > echo "rawdev" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/driver
> > >
> > > or something alont these lines. At least that's my grand plan ;)
> >
> > I like this kind of idea. Many options should be settable this
> > way (think for example about Synaptics and ALPS touchpad
>
> Yes, exactly, it will allow much more flexible option handling. Still,
> as far as your examples go:
>
> > configurations: whether to use multipointers separately or
> > together,
> - userspace task - always persent separate devices and have application
> (GPM or X) multiplex data together.

Ok, in this case your ALPS patch need a little working ;) (Last
time I saw it it ORed the touchpad and stick values.)

> > (de)activation of tapping,
> - may be userspace task - i.e can be done in userspace if device can
> report BTN_TOUCH event. If not then kernel has to toggle it.

> > button remapping etc).
> - userspace task

When you say "userspace task", are you saying that the
filtering out of, say, BTN_TOUCH events should happen at a
higher level than the kernel driver not reporting them at all?
Say, in gpm?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Can't you see