Re: NFS: Problem with user and group IDs

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 10:27:02 EST

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 04:58:03PM +0200, Thomas Babut wrote:
> I've got a problem with 'squashing' user and group IDs under NFS.
>
> On the NFS Server there is the directory /data/test with owner ID 1011
> and group ID 100.
>
> Here is the /etc/exports file on the NFS server:
> /data/test
> 172.16.10.1(ro,root_squash,all_squash,anon_uid=65534,anongid=65534)
>
> On the client side I mount it with the command:
> mount -t nfs 172.16.10.2:/data/test /mnt/test
>
> After it has been successfully mounted, the directory on the client
> system has the owner ID 1011 and group ID 100, like on the server.
>
> But the expected result for me is, that on the client system the
> directory has owner ID 65534 and group ID 65534 like it has been set in
> the /etc/exports file on the server.

Root-squashing only modifies the way your client credentials are seen on
the server; it isn't applied to uid's that are returned to the client
e.g. when listing a directory. So if you create a new file as a user
on the client, that new file will be given anonymous uid and gid. But
if you "ls" a directory, the uid's you see will be unaffected by
squashing.

--Bruce Fields