NFS: Problem with user and group IDs

From: Thomas Babut
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 10:00:53 EST

Hi,

I've got a problem with 'squashing' user and group IDs under NFS.

On the NFS Server there is the directory /data/test with owner ID 1011 and group ID 100.

Here is the /etc/exports file on the NFS server:
/data/test 172.16.10.1(ro,root_squash,all_squash,anon_uid=65534,anongid=65534)

On the client side I mount it with the command:
mount -t nfs 172.16.10.2:/data/test /mnt/test

After it has been successfully mounted, the directory on the client system has the owner ID 1011 and group ID 100, like on the server.

But the expected result for me is, that on the client system the directory has owner ID 65534 and group ID 65534 like it has been set in the /etc/exports file on the server.
I tried less options in the exports file as well. The result is always the same. With squash and without squash options.

Client and Server are Debian woody. I tried this on a Debian sid (unstable) system as well, same results. Switching from nfs-kernel-server to nfs-user-server didn't change anything, too.

My question is now: Is this a bug, or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks for any answer.

Regards,
Thomas Babut