Re: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE for AMD64?

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 20:29:15 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

And handling all interrupts at CPU #0 during early boot up is not really an issue.

An kernel implementation may make sense when you're doing something
really dynamic: e.g. not just a timer, but dynamically redirecting
network interrupts to the CPU the process who will read from the
socket runs on. Obviously it would need kernel support for that, since
user space could not keep up with such a high sampling rate. But that's
future research work (if it can be even done generically at all)
and I don't see it on the radar screen anytime soon. We first need to solve
the NUMA scheduling problem, which is already hard enough ;-)

We're actually doing the converse of this in the sched-domain
scheduler. Processes have a tendancy to follow the interrupts
(ie. try to get onto the same CPU as them).

This makes good interrupt balancing important.

I have a feeling it might be best to keep the interrupts on
the closest CPUs, and move processes to match. Or possibly a
mix of both approaches.