Re: oops, 2.4.26 and jfs

From: Chris Stromsoe
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 20:21:41 EST

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Dave Kleikamp wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 15:15, Chris Stromsoe wrote:
> > This morning during a cron run while doing a find across /, I got the
> > following oops.
>
> The oops is fixed in 2.4.27-pre3 with the patch:
> http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.4/cset@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> jfs still may give you problems if 0-order allocations are failing, but
> it's not supposed to trap.

Thanks, patch applied.

Aside from that:

> May 26 06:28:10 begonia kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed
> (gfp=0x1f0/0)

I'm curious about why 0-order allocations would fail. From everything
I've read (google searching for the error message), that indicates an out
of memory condition, which shouldn't be the case.

The box in question has 4Gb of physical ram (512Mb is used as tmpfs) and
9Gb of swap. When the oops happened, no swap was in use. Physical ram
was pretty much filled, but no swap at all. OOM_KILLER is not enabled.

There's nothing especially exotic in the box. It does a lot of network
traffic (eepro100) and a lot of disk traffic (aic7xxx). The morning cron
jobs had just kicked off. Two of them do "find /" -- I believe that the
second one was running when it happened.

-Chris