Re: NFS proc entry

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 18:07:39 EST

Trond Myklebust wrote:
På to , 15/04/2004 klokka 15:03, skreiv Chris Friesen:

However, with the current setup filesystem monitoring deamons must fork off a child for each mount, since statfs() can block for many seconds if the server has gone away.

So exactly how would moving that monitoring into the kernel change the
parameters of the above problem?

I guess I was thinking that if the kernel knew the status of the mounts, it could speed things up for userspace apps that don't properly handle network filesystems. Probably not practical though.

We had an interesting time converting some apps that were originally using a ramdisk to run with NFS-mounted files. Since reading from the ramdisk never blocked for significant amounts of time, some of the apps didn't design for IO delay and behaved poorly the first time we pulled the links to the NFS server.

Chris