Re: unionfs

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 18:21:26 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:

Assuming one RW on top of a RO only now: What should happen when a
file/directory is missing from the top? If the bottom one "shows through",
you can't delete anything; if it doesn't, you win nothing (because you will
have to keep a complete copy RW on top).

I don't see how you win nothing. I create an overlay filesystem. I delete a bunch of files in the overlay and it doesn't show through. All my other files are still links to the originals, with the

I would dearly love to use something like to make it easy to track changes made all over a source tree. If I could sync them up at the begining, then make all my changes in the overly, then doing a diff is really easy since you just look for places where the inodes are different between the two filesystems. Like having hard links, but the filesystem breaks them for you when you write.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557