Re: strange ext3 corruption problem on 2.6.x

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 21:35:13 EST

Marc Lehmann <pcg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I use lvm-over-raid5 and get these messages once a day (requiring a reboot
> afterwards):
>
> EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory #4804801: directory entry across blocks - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=50000,
> name_len=152
> Aborting journal on device dm-0.

(and fsck comes up clean)

There have been earlier reports of this. Too many for it to be some random
glitch. We've had similar reports in 2.4, usually with raid5.

I'm fairly confident in ext3 - it's hard to think of an ext3-level bug
which wouldn't have 10x as many reports from non-md users. But perhaps
some timing unique to the MD layer is triggering some ext3 bug.

Joe, Neil: have you spotted reports like this? Any suggestions as to how
to track it down a bit?