host name length

From: Ulrich Drepper
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 15:31:38 EST

POSIX nowadays contains

_POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX
and
HOST_NAME_MAX

for programs to use to learn about the maximum host name length which is
allowed. _POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX is the standard-required minimum maximum
and the value must be 256.

The problem is that HOST_NAME_MAX currently is defined as 64, as defined
by __NET_UTS_LEN in <linux/utsname.h>. I.e., we have HOST_NAME_MAX as
smaller than the minimum maximum which is obviously not POSIX compliant.

Now, we can simply ignore the problem or do something about it and
introduce a third version of the utsname structure with sufficiently big
nodename field.

Many OSes used small values before but 256 was chosen as a minimum
maximum and some OSes were changed since host names longer than 64 chars
indeed do exist. I wonder why this never has been brought to the
attention. Or were people happy enough with truncated host names?

Anyway, is there interest in getting this changed?

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â