Re: anon_vma RFC2

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 07:44:31 EST

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:21:27PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Rajesh's code has nothing to do with the mremap breakage, Rajesh's code
> can only boost the search of the interesting vmas in an anonmm, it
> doesn't solve mremap.

btw, one more detail, Rajesh's code will fall apart while dealing with
the dynamic metadata attached to vmas relocated by mremap: his code is
usable out of the box only on top of anon_vma (where
vm_pgoff/vm_start/vm_end retains the same semantics as the file mappings
in the i_mmap list), not on top of anonmm where you'll have to stack
some other dynamic structure (like the pte_chains today in anobjrmap-5).
Not sure how well his code could be modified to take into account the
dynamic data structure generated by mremap.

Also don't forget Rajesh's code doesn't come free, it also adds overhead
to the vma, so if you need the tree in the anonmm too (not only in the
inode), you'll grow the vma size too (I grow it of 12 bytes with
anon_vma but then I don't need complex metadata dynamic allocated later
in mremap and I don't need the rbtree search either since it's
finegrined well enough).

I also expect you'll still have significant problems merging two vmas, one
touched by mremap, the other not, since then the dynamic objects would
need to be "partial" for only a part of the vma, complicating even
further the "tree search" with ranges in the sub-metadata attached to
the vma.