Re: ANNOUCE: OpenIB InfiniBand software

From: Troy Benjegerdes
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 22:34:08 EST

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 01:00:59PM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
> Several people have requested that we split the possibly-encumbered
> SDP code into a separate package so that they don't have to download
> it to get the free code. To allow that, I have split the kernel code
> into two packages:
>
> infiniband-kernel-2004-03-05.tar.bz2
> infiniband-kernel-sdp-2004-03-05.tar.bz2

Since the openib.org mailing lists don't seem to be alive yet, I'll
bring this up here..

Can we get this split out into the following components?

* kernel level infiniband access layer
* lowlevel hardware driver (aka mellanox driver)
* all other 'upper layer protocols'

All the existing code has big problems with how it interfaces to the
kernel memory management.. it doesn't use the regular interfaces like
get_user_pages, pci_map_page, and pci_map_sq, and goes and looks at the
guts of the pagetables directly.

This is either a problem with the kernel interfaces made available, or a
design issue with the existing codebases. Can someone please tell me
which it is?

Troy Benjegerdes 'da hozer' hozer@xxxxxxxxx

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz