Re: 2.6.4-rc-bk3: hdparm -X locks up IDE

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 13:02:01 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Thursday 11 of March 2004 15:48, Jens Axboe wrote:

On Thu, Mar 11 2004, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

On Thursday 11 of March 2004 15:14, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

I discovered that hdparm -X <mode> /dev/hda can lock up IDE
interface if there is some activity.

Known bug and is on TODO but fixing it ain't easy.
Thanks for a report anyway.

Wouldn't it be possible to do the stuff that needs serializing from the
end_request() part and get automatic synchronization with normal
requests?

That's the way to do it (REQ_SPECIAL) but unfortunately on some chipsets
we need to synchronize both channels (whereas we don't need to serialize
normal operations).

blk_stop_queue() on all queues attached to the hardware?

You need to synchronize anyway for the rare hardware that reports itself as "simplex" -- one DMA engine for both channels.

Jeff