2.6.3 / cpufreq governor problems

From: Nico Schottelius
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 04:18:31 EST

Hello!

Looks like the user space cpufreq does not get registered:

scice# modprobe cpufreq_userspace
scice# lsmod
Module Size Used by
cpufreq_powersave 352 0
cpufreq_userspace 1924 0
md5 2688 1
ipv6 198208 21
snd_ali5451 14532 0
snd_ac97_codec 48388 1 snd_ali5451
snd_pcm 64228 1 snd_ali5451
snd_page_alloc 5412 1 snd_pcm
snd_timer 15428 1 snd_pcm
snd 32228 4
snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore 4096 1 snd
ide_cd 32836 0
cdrom 31456 1 ide_cd
8139too 15456 0
mii 2432 1 8139too
crc32 2848 1 8139too

scice# echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo: write error: invalid argument

scice# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
performance powersave

scice# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
powersave

scice# uname -a
Linux scice 2.6.3 #7 Wed Mar 3 08:38:35 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

scice# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
longrun

scice# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineTMx86
cpu family : 6
model : 4
model name : Transmeta(tm) Crusoe(tm) Processor TM5600
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 599.263
cache size : 512 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 sep cmov mmx longrun lrti
bogomips : 1101.82

scice# powernowd -d
PowerNow Daemon v0.85, (c) 2003 John Clemens
Found 1 cpu.
Error writing file governor: Invalid argument
Couldn't get per-cpu data: Illegal seek
PowerNowd encountered and error and could not start.
Please make sure that:
- You are running a v2.5/v2.6 kernel or later
- That you have sysfs mounted /sys
- That you have the core cpufreq and cpufreq-userspace
modules loaded into your kernel
- That you have the cpufreq driver for your cpu loaded,
and that it works. (check dmesg for errors)
If all of the above are true, and you still have problems,
please email the author: clemej@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Any hints? I am compiling 2.6.4 right now, but I don't see changes,
which could fix this problem.

Greetings,
Nico

ps: config.gz attached