Re: Kernel panic with SLES8.0

From: Sesha Muneendra Swameejee Panda
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 04:34:56 EST

Hi,

The follwing are the detailed messages while kernel panic.

------
Pending list:
Kernel Free SCB list: 3 1 0
DevQ(0:0:0): ) waiting
DevQ(0:0:0): ) waiting
aic7xxx_abort returnss 0x2002
scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus reset: ho
st 1 channel 0 id 15 lun 0
Using /lib/modules/2.4.19-64GB-SMP/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.0
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or 08:02
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03
--------

The system has three partitions.

1. /dev/sda1 /boot 125 MB ext3
2. /dev/sda2 / 30.5 GB ext3
3. /dev/sda3 swap 3.5 GB swap

And the RAM is 2048MB.

Boot options used : root=/dev/sda2 mem=2048M.

Any clues?

Thanks,
P.S.M.Swamiji

Sesha Muneendra Swameejee Panda wrote:
Hi,

I have installed the SLES8.0 on a LX50 server. The installation went
fine. While coming up the kernel panics with the below message.

kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

I have tried the workaround by give mem=2048M for boot options . This
does not work and give the same problem.

Can anyone of you throw light on this?

Your help is highly appreciated.

--

Regards,
P.S.M.Swamiji

"LIFE IS ALREADY SHORT, DONT MAKE IT SHORTER by SMOKING OR
ARGUING."