Re: Kernel-User shared buffer

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 19:51:49 EST

>>>>> "john" == john moser <bluefoxicy@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

john> Hi. I'm trying to create a shared buffer for realtime
john> communication between the kernel and a userspace application.
john> All allocation is done for the userspace task in the kernel, and
john> the kernel is to write to the ram from within syscalls made by
john> other processes.

It's easier to go the other way. Get your application to map the
buffer from a filesystem that you provide. See, e.g., the code in
arch/ia64/kernel/perfmon.c.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*