Re: fsb of older cpu

From: Stefan Smietanowski
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 16:16:19 EST

Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Bjoern Schmidt wrote:

Hello and thank you for your answer. I determined that this cpu has a fsb of
66MHz. The reason for my question was that i want to underclock the cpu.
I think it would be better to change the multiplier instead of changing the fsb.
Therefore i read the msr register 0x02ah, tilted bit 27 and wrote it back, but
the cpu clock is still the same. Why does that not work? Is it possible to
change the multiplier at runtime at all?

No, the multiplier is locked, you'll have more luck fiddling with the
front side bus.

That would be the first P2/233 with a locked multiplier I've come
across. My P2's ranging from 233 to 350 were never multiplier locked
anyway. Celerons and P3's were multiplier locked however, maybe that's
what you're thinking about.

// Stefan