Re: A Layered Kernel: Proposal

From: viro
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 15:46:36 EST

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:39:40PM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> So give us a design. Make a concrete proposal. Tell us what the
> API's --- with C function prototypes --- should look like, and how we
> should migrate what we have to your new beautiful nirvana.

But... but... that requires *work*! How can you demand that?!?

To original toss^Wposter: it's an old observation that in order to be
useful hypothesis has to be falsifiable. Similar principle applies
to design proposals - to be worth of any attention they have to be
detailed enough to allow meaningful criticism.

What you have done so far is equivalent to coming to a hospital and
saying "aseptic good, infection bad". That would get pretty much
the same reactions, varying from "yes, we know" to "do you have any
specific suggestions?" and "stop wasting our time"[1].

In short: get lost and do not come back until you have something less
vague.

[1] If you are insistent enough, you might also earn a free referral
to psychiatrist. You would have to work harder than you have done
so far, though...