Re: udev versus parallel-port Zip drive

From: walt
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 19:40:28 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:55:44PM -0800, walt wrote:

the parallel-port driver for Zip drives (ppa) does not load
automatically...

Here's a little sign to print out for the next time someone tries to
bring this issue up:

**********************************
* udev does no device discovery! *
**********************************

Okayokayokay! I admit it was a dumb question. Now that you point it
out to me with a two-by-four-to-the-forehead I see that udev is a user-
space thing, and devices are a kernel-space thing -- so it was a dumb
question. Guilty as charged :-(

Innovators are always frustrated with dumb questions from people who
Don't Understand The Problem. Users are frustrated with innovators
who don't understand the dumb users. C'est la vie! Both groups pay
the price for.......whatever it is we pay the price for...

Every dumb question can teach you something about being an innovator.
(The proof is left as an exercise for the reader...)