Re: [SUBJECT CHANGE]: megaraid unified driver version 2.20.0.0-alpha1

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 21:28:56 EST

Mukker, Atul wrote:
given that they are completely different from the controller we know
as megaraid today this is an extremly bad idea. Just put it into an driver
of their own, e.g. mptraid

Although, this simplifies the development and maintenance effort, having a
single driver to drive both controllers or two independent drivers is not
always our decision. Most often, it would be Dell's preference.

If the hardware is similar, a single driver is OK.

If the hardware is not similar, the preference is for separate drivers.

Shared code in a third module, a "library module", is an acceptable solution. modprobe automatically loads dependent modules, so users running "modprobe driver1" or "modprobe driver2" would automatically load the shared library module.

Jeff