Re: [SUBJECT CHANGE]: megaraid unified driver version 2.20.0.0-al pha1

From: Matt Domsch
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 17:50:33 EST

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 08:44:41PM +0000, 'Christoph Hellwig' wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 03:38:48PM -0500, Mukker, Atul wrote:
> > > of their own, e.g. mptraid
> > Although, this simplifies the development and maintenance effort, having a
> > single driver to drive both controllers or two independent drivers is not
> > always our decision. Most often, it would be Dell's preference.
>
> Well, I think the people at Dell should get down from their fucking crackpipe
> then. (Matt, did you hear that? please stop this kind of marketing driven
> junk, thanks)

Yes, I'll try to figure out where this request came from, if from
anyone at Dell. My guess is it's related to other operating systems,
over which I have no control, but isn't relevant to Linux.

In general, I tend to fight exactly the opposite - people wanting
drivers split out for "new technology" - say, PCI Express, when the
driver<->firmware API hasn't changed, which is just wrong again.

If it's got a different driver<->firmware API, then it needs a new
driver. If it's the same API, then it should be the same driver.

FWIW, I'm out of the office for the next couple weeks with a new baby,
thus limited sleep and access to people, but I'll discover what I
can, and will take the heat internally for saying "split the driver"
if in fact you've got two different APIs, as I suspect you do.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch