Re: 2.6.3-mm3

From: Mike Fedyk
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 20:35:15 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Mike Fedyk wrote:

What about Nick's fix up patch for the two patches above? Should I include that one also?

I'm running 2.6.3-mm3-486-fazok (nick's patch), and it has improved my slab usage greatly. It was averaging 500MB-700MB slab. Now slab is ~230MB, and page cache is ~700MB

That is a much better sounding ratio. Of course that doesn't mean much
if performance is worse. Slab might be getting reclaimed a little bit
too hard vs pagecache now.

I'll let you know. My graphs are looking better, except for one instance of Xvnc (for one user -- I'm still tracking that one down) hitting a memory grabbing loop that made me kill it.

See:
http://www.matchmail.com/stats/lrrd/matchmail.com/srv-lnx2600.matchmail.com-memory.html

Is there any way I can get the VM patches against 2.6.3? I'm not comfortable with running -mm3 on this production server, especially seeing the "sync hang" bug.

Well your server wasn't going too badly with 2.6.3, wasn't it? Might
as well just wait for them to get into the the tree.

I might as well take out the third 512MB DIMM in that machine then...

Any chance you could post a VM patch roll-up against 2.6.3 for little ole me?

Mike