2.4.24 problems [WAS: Re: IDE DMA problem [WAS: Re: Getting lousyNFS + tar-pipe throughput on 2.4.20]]

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 12:03:50 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Saturday 14 of February 2004 01:16, Timothy Miller wrote:

Does 2.4.20 not work well with the KT600
chipset?

It doesn't, upgrade to 2.4.24.

Ok, so we tried that. That caused all sorts of havoc, most of which we might be able to figure out. It seems that RedHat's utilities and stuff don't get along well with 2.4.24 if all you do is just boot the new kernel. Seems a bunch of other stuff needs to be upgraded.

Also, 'root=LABEL=/' doesn't work anymore in grub.conf, and there seems to be no way to enable it. Is this a RedHat only thing?

In any event, when we managed to get it to boot, it absolutely did NOT fix the DMA problem with the KT600. Trying to enable it with hdparm still says "Operation not permitted". We spend a LOT of time trying to make sure we got the kernel configured right with all of the right options, etc., but we're still without IDE DMA.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.