Re: HIGHMEM

From: david parsons
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 12:09:52 EST

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 01:12:48PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
> Nagy Tibor <nagyt@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am sorry, I have found your e-mail address in
> > ./arch/i386/kernel/setup.c. I have the problem below since a year, and
> > there is no solution yet. I guess, the problem is about e820. The
> > problem exists in 2.4.x and also in 2.6.1.
> >
> > We have two Dell Poweredge servers, an older one (PowerEdge 6300) and a
> > newer one (PowerEdge 6400). Both servers have 4GB RAM, but the Linux
> > kernel uses about 500MB less memory in the newer machine.
>
> I may be talking through my hat, but I think that in this case you
> need to select the option for support of 64G highmem. If I recall,
> "4G highmem" refers not to the total amount to the memory, but to the
> highest physical address that can be accessed.

Its been several years since I did anything with the 820 code,
but it all uses long longs so it should be fine with up to 4gb
and a casual look at the now much hacked code doesn't seem to
show anything that would leap out and start laughing at you.

____
david parsons \bi/ ``Sanitize the BIOS e820 map''?
\/