Re: reiserfs for bkbits.net?

From: Bryan Whitehead
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 13:31:44 EST

Måns Rullgård wrote:
Sander <sander@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Larry McVoy wrote (ao):

We're moving openlogging back to our offices and I'm experimenting
with filesystems to see what gives the best performance for BK usage.
Reiserfs looks pretty good and I'm wondering if anyone knows any
reasons that we shouldn't use it for bkbits.net. Also, would it help
if the journal was on a different disk? Most of the bkbits traffic is
read so I doubt it.

Please cc me, I'm not on the list.

I've cc'ed the Reiserfs mailinglist.

IME Reiserfs is a fast and stable fs. If you have the time to benchmark
ext3, reiserfs, jfs and xfs (and ..) with bk then you would know first
hand which fs is best for you. It might be worth the time.

If someone does any tests, I'd be interested to hear about the
results.

http://pcbunn.cacr.caltech.edu/gae/3ware_raid_tests.htm

They needed 200MByte/sec disk transfer speed. this is how they got it.

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry and Large Optical Systems