Printk message and numbers formating - was Spelling in 2.6.2

From: Michael Frank
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 10:09:52 EST

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 17:36, vda wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 22:09, Michael Hayes wrote:
> > Relax, this is not a spelling patch.
> >
> > I was curious how fast spelling errors flow into the kernel, so I
> > looked at the + lines in the 2.6.2 patch. A few of the errors
> > already existed, but most of them are new. It turns out that there
> > are around 200 new spelling errors in 2.6.2.
> >
> > A "wether" (castrated goat) has appeared, along with a "Rusell" that
> > should be stamped out before it spreads. Someone had a dreadful time
> > with "technology" and its variants, spelling it wrong 9 different ways.
> >
> > Here's what I found:
> >
> > File Error Should be #
>
> :))
>
> Before all the bizzare mispels are dealed with, let me
> beg for "dont" and "cant" be pardoned. We dont enforce
> "double space after period" and "always terminate log messages
> with a period" rules, because those do no good and

Concur, pleae lets allow dont and cant.

Can we have a rule that periods terminating kernel messages
are depreciated?

> cant lead to misinterpretations anyway.
> Dunno why, but /me thinks the same applies to donts and cants.

Just wastes space on the line, should this be depreciated?

> And I just feel that ' is a string delimiter and "don't" hurts
> my eye.

Concur,

As to printing numbers, which form to use?

Should numbers in parenthesis be depreciated?

printk("Count is (%d)\n");

What about colons?

printk"Count is: %d\n");

Or just straight and simple:

printk("Count is %d\n");

Numbers in a sentence:

printk("Size %d is too big, adjusted to %d\n");
printk("Size %d is too big, adjusted to: %d\n");

Regards
Michael