Re: devfs vs udev, thoughts from a devfs user

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 05:02:21 EST

Matthew Reppert wrote:

At the very least, sysfs' and devfs' approaches to devices differ in
philosophy. devfs says "here's a device node, you can tell where it is
in the bus hierarchy by looking at its filename". sysfs, on the other
hand, says "here's the device hierarchy", and gives you enough information
to create device nodes for each point in the hierarchy if you wish to do
so.

There's an interesting security implication here. I used to think "why don't they make a device node instead of exporting
numbers, udev could then simply make a link to it"
It'd be simpler, and the minimalists could use the node in sysf directly.

The security advantage is that we don't get a device with some default
permissions that might get abused. The udev config can decide
to create a node with stricter than usual permissions, or decide
to not make the node at all.

Helge Hafting