Re: 2.4.23 && md raid1 && reiserfs panic

From: Oleg Drokin
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 20:58:12 EST

Hello!

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 09:10:40AM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> > JB> The symptoms: rm a file from a working RAID1 md reiserfs filesystem,
> > JB> and I get a panic, rm(1) segfaults, and all further I/O to any interactive
> > JB> shells stop. The entire system is rednered incapable; reboot (via
> > JB> ctrl-alt-del) doesnt shutdown and the only action is to hard reset the box.
> >
> > What if you run reiserfsck over the volume that seems to be corrupted,
> > then fix the errors and then retry the operation?
> Yes! That was it. Attached is the output I captured from reiserfsck.
> It identified the very file I was attempting to remove that was causing
> the segfault in rm(1).
> So I guess this is a reiserfs specific issue when it kills all disk I/O
> when this correcption happens. Hmm.

Yes, in-kernel reiserfs is not all that good when it comes to corrupted
filesystems yet. The source of this corruption is yet unknown, though.

You can fix the corruption with reiserfsck --fix-fixable, or
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree if first one does not work.
Be sure to use latest reiserfsprogs.

Bye,
Oleg