Re: [ANNOUNCE] Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) 1.1 stable version

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 12:10:41 EST

> > FUSE is a combination of a kernel module and a
> > userspace library that makes the creation of
> > filesystems in userspace very easy.
>
> Any connection here with making linux fs easier to learn?

Not really. FUSE and the linux VFS have not much in common except they
both have a similar set of operations (open, read, write, mkdir,
unlink, etc.). But linux VFS is much more generic.

> I ask because I've not found any reasonably quick way of making sense
> of:
>
> http://lxr.linux.no/source/fs/udf/

Yeah, a working UDF implementation would be good. It's very easy to
prototype such an FS in FUSE. Any takers? ;)

> Thank you from that I found:
>
> the AVFS project page on sourceforge
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf/

The homepage and SF project page of AVFS and FUSE are a mess. Sorry
about that.

> Also I see this FUSE is not sourceforge.net/projects/fuse/.

That is true. the name FUSE turned out to be unfortunate, because
it's an often chosen project name.

Miklos