Re: Promise PDC20269 (Ultra133 TX2) + Software RAID

From: Andreas Steinmetz
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 16:34:27 EST

Pedro Larroy wrote:
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:08:31PM +1030, Ryan Verner wrote:

And the machine is randomly locking up, and of course, on reboot, the raid array is rebuilt. Ouch. Any clues as to why? I'm sure the hard drive hasn't failed as it's brand new; I suspect a chipset compatibility problem or something.

I have similar issues with 20269. I have two cards on one box doing sw raid5
on 6 ide drives. It only runs stably with 2.4.19
It has been many months since I assembled that box, and I've tried kernels
from 2.4.20-ac, 2.5.x, 2.6.2 and all hang after some time running.

I remember that pdcs also hanged a dual processor box.

In my case (see my mail to lkml today) I do suspect concurrent disk access and IO-APIC to be the culprit. If you're using an IO-APIC try booting with either "noapic" or "hdx=serialize" where hdx is one of the disks of your controller card.
--
Andreas Steinmetz