Re: file system technical comparisons

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 09:56:18 EST

venom@xxxxxx wrote:

What would be interesting is a new comparison between reiserFS reiser4 and
latest XFS. To be onest I think ext3, with or withou HTree, obsolete, but it is
abvious if you consider its origins, while I do not speack about JFS, since
technically is interesting, but then the bench I did, more than an year ago,
were not untisiasmant, and it was buggy when in a DIR there were too many
"small" files.

Luigi

Actually I agree with you that JFS is architecturally much more interesting than ext3 (though Andrew Morton's readahead code for ext* is beautiful stuff). I haven't really looked at why JFS is slow, though usually being slow at <100k sized files in a journaling filesystem is due to the journaling code. The thing about performance is that the mistakes count for 4x what the things done right count for. Chris Mason did a lot for V3's performance compared to the competition by writing nice journaling code for us.

htree has performance problems that are due to its architecture --- I think this is why they don't make it on by default --- it actually slows ext3 down substantially for average directory sizes..... you can see that on our benchmarks page, or just by copying around some copies of the linux kernel yourself with it on and off.

--
Hans