Re: kernel 2.6.0, wrong Kconfig directives

From: Andrea Barisani
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 18:10:22 EST

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:17:32PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:56:23AM +0100, Andrea Barisani wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
>
> Hi Andrea,

Hi!

> > Installing 2.6.0 I've found that some kernel options directives are wrong,
> > in fact the option turns out to be always enabled. I don't think this is
> > a desired behaviour.
> >
> > Sorry for the format, yes I know it's ugly :) but I'll leave to you the proper
> > solution :) so I can't make a proper patch.
> >

> > - IPV6_SCTP___ option is always turned on
> >
> > ./net/sctp/Kconfig:
> >
> > 8: config IPV6_SCTP__
> > 9: tristate
> > 10: default y if IPV6=n
> > 11: default IPV6 if IPV6
> > 12:
> > 13: config IP_SCTP
> > 14: tristate "The SCTP Protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)"
> > 15: depends on IPV6_SCTP__
> >

> > I think something is wrong here, why the 'default y if IPV6=n' ???
>

> It's ___ugly___ but designed this way...
>
> The whole purpose of IPV6_SCTP__ is to disallow static IP_SCTP with
> modular IPV6.

Ok, so it's actually a "dummy" config with not linked with real code. A
simple grep suggest that. If so I won't complain again, now it's clear ;)

However it's really ___ugly___ ;)

> These EMBEDDED are there to help people not to accidentially disable
> these options although they might require them.

Ok that's fine, however I personally think this should be documented in
EMBEDDED related options to let people know how they can disable them.

And I really think that MOUSEDEV should not be considered a 'not-standard'
option. It's quite common disabling MOUSE support on servers, terminals and
so on. :)

> cu
> Adrian

Bye and thanks

INFIS Network Administrator & Security Officer .*.
Department of Physics - University of Trieste V
lcars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - GPG Key 0x864C9B9E ( )