Re: [2.4] Nforce2 oops and occasional hang (tried the lockups patch,no difference)

From: Voicu Liviu
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 07:32:35 EST

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Craig Bradney wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 18:24, Disconnect wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 13:52, Disconnect wrote:
> > > memory/cpu timings. (Even underclocked it to 133 and 1G with no
> > > change.) So its unfortunately back on a stock 2.4.23-pre9 with
> > > noapic/noacpi. (It disables one of the sets of usb ports, as I recall,
> > > but it mostly works...)
> >
> > Update: Underclocked from 1.8G to 1.2G (whups, meant to go down only
> > 2-300mhz) and its been vaguely stable for about 1.5 days. I don't have
> > another week (yet..) to run it under its normal load and wait for a
> > crash, so what I'm going to do is:
> > - Move the workload (web/mail/..) to a different machine so this one
> > can be down for an extended period
> > - Replace the ram with new sticks (they arrived this morning)
> > - Reclock everything to stock (1.83G cpu, 200mhz ram and verify the
> > timings from kingston)
> > - Replace the video card
> > - Memtest86 until it cries
> > - If it passes, bonnie++ on the new drives
> > - If that passes, usb/acpi/apic testing with the associated patches
> >
> > Anyone still watching this? Tips and suggestions on what else might be
> > useful/informative are more than welcome. The tests above mostly
> > replicate what I did when building this box, and it passed them then..
> >
> > Recap:
> > Epox 8rda+ nforce2 mobo
I have Epox 8rda3+
> > AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) 1.83G
same
> > Kingston HyperX PC3200
corsair twinx 512 (2 stiks of 256)
> > WD Caviar WD1200JB 8M/UDMA100
seagate
> > Antec case w/ 350W AMD-certified PSU
black case (not something special)
My system works with 2.4 and 2.6 even overclocked to 10x190 (1900 Mhz)
Cheers

> > Oopses and occasional hangs, usually in do_generic_file_read, using
> > stock kernel.org 2.4.2x kernels. Hardware passed testing (memtest86,
> > bonnie++) before I put Linux on it.
>
> Does this not relate directly to the APIC/IOAPIC issues with 2.6 kernel
> and nforce chipset motherboards?
>
> Craig
>
> -

Liviu Voicu
Assistant Programmer and network support
Computation Center, Mount Scopus
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: 972(2)-5881253
E-mail: "Liviu Voicu"<pacman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

/**
* cat /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage > /dev/dsp
* ( and the voice of God will be heard! )
*
*/

Click here to see my GPG signature: