Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox

From: Ed Sweetman
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 02:38:04 EST

Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:30:15AM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:

Can somebody definately say if "matroxfb" is working for 2.6? I haven't tested it for a while, but I was surprised to find it non-working in 2.6...

Not working for me. G550 driving Samsung SyncMaster 171s (LCD).
It locked system several times in the past when switching between XFree
and fb console.
I was told to use exact resolution and color depth wi fbcon and X.
In my case, it's 1280x1024-16bpp. It is working great in X, but
fbcon do not work - all I get is a black screen and lock when
I try to blinfly run XFree.

last time i tried it (-test7 or so) it worked. your normal fbcon and what not drivers do not work. They haven't been updated to handle the new fb code. You'll need to do all your configuring via kernel or module loading and cross your fingers and hope xfree86 can load based off it. Also, i never got a non-blank console when using matroxfb... once it loaded i always had to blindly move around and start X and what not.

But, what's really the point in using X with matroxfb? You lose half your memory off the bat that X cannot access and you get no added performance or anything. It really does not seem worth it. Use matroxfb if you need to do fb stuff in a console without X. Otherwise, stick to just plain console and X and forget about matroxfb.