Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 14:12:44 EST

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:44:02 PST, Kendall Bennett said:

> Right, and by extension of the same argument you cannot use kernel
> headers to create non-GPL'ed binaries that run IN USER SPACE! Just
> because a program runs in user space does not mean that it is not a
> dervived work.

That's a bad idea for technical reasons too - how often do we have to tell
people not to use kernel headers from userspace? glibc-kernheaders (and whatever
non-RedHat boxes call it) exists for a reason.

Interestingly enough, at least on my Fedora box, 'rpm -qi' reports glibc as LGPL,
but glibc-kernheaders as GPL, which seems right to me - linking against glibc gives
the LGPL semantics as we'd want, but forces userspace that's poking in the kernel
to be GPL as a derived work....