RE: memory hotremove prototype, take 3

From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 00:21:46 EST

> From: Yasunori Goto

> IMHO, To hot-remove memory, memory attribute should be divided
> into Hotpluggable and no-Hotpluggable, and each attribute memory
> should be allocated each unit(ex. node).

Why? I still don't get that -- we should be able to use the virtual
addressing mechanism of any CPU to swap under the rug any virtual
address without needing to do anything more than allocate a page frame
for the new physical location (I am ignoring here devices that are
directly accessing physical memory--a callback in the device model could
be added to require them to reallocate their buffers).

Or am I deadly and naively wrong?

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own (and my fault)