Re: memory hotremove prototype, take 3

From: Yasunori Goto
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 17:28:33 EST

Hello.

> Pavel Machek wrote:
>
> > hotunplug seems cool... How do you deal with kernel data structures in
> > memory "to be removed"? Or you simply don't allow kmalloc() to
> > allocate there?
>
> You guessed right. Hot removeable memory can only be allocated
> for uses that we can easily re-allocate. So kmalloc() etc. have
> to get memory from some area that we promise not to ever try to
> remove.

IMHO, To hot-remove memory, memory attribute should be divided
into Hotpluggable and no-Hotpluggable, and each attribute memory
should be allocated each unit(ex. node).

(I posted the following mail 2 month ago.)
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106506389406876&w=2

Now, I'm making a Memory hot-ADD trial patch, but it don't work yet.
(Kernel panic when memory enable command is executed.)
After this patch will work, I will post it again.

Thanks.

--
Yasunori Goto <ygoto at fsw.fujitsu.com>