2.6.0-test9 /-mm3 SATA siimage - bad disk performance

From: Marcus Hartig
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 00:20:14 EST

Hello all,

with the Fedora 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl I get with hdparm -t
(Timing buffered disk reads) 34 MB/sec. Its very slow for this drive.

With 2.6.0-test9 and -mm3 I get around "62 MB in 3.05 = 20,31". Wow"
Back to ~1998?

UDMA6 is always on. The Abit NF7-S V2 nForce2 board with an siimage 3112a (rev2) raid controller, new BIOS.

Also with the Seagate SATA V ST380023AS I get heavy crashes with max_kb_per_request when I set it to 128 (all kernel). With 15kb its fine and stable, but so slow.

The Seagate technical support means in an email to me, that there are no problems with the SATA seagate drives, its only the driver ... Nice. Is that really so? And why get other users with new Maxtor or Western Digital SATA drives (in the same class) much better performance?

Thanks for all the good work,

Marcus

--
from the "Old Europe"