Re: hot cache line due to note_interrupt()

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 00:19:08 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
The fact is, irqdebug _has_ resulted in a few reports where instead of a silent and total lock-up, the kernel just said "I'll disable this irq" and the machine continued limping along.

I strongly agree.

There are two huge reasons I develop and debug drivers solely in 2.6 now: kksymoops and irqdebug. Both have helped a great deal in tracking down problems. Indeed, screaming irqs that lead to lockups are instantly detected in 2.6.

But hey... I'm just a developer. Who can say whether it should be on by default?

Jeff