Re: libata testing on new machine with ICH5 and PDC20318

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 13:17:20 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:

The ICH5 should be fine. You may need to twiddle BIOS setup options, some users have reported that both drivers/ide and libata fail in certain BIOS modes. "Enhanced - SATA only" is usually the preferred mode, where feasible.

I forgot to mention I will not be booting off of any of the SATA disks, so that should cover the BIOS issues by just ignoring them.

You need to make sure you get the Promise SATA fixes I just pushed to Linus. Presumably they will be available in the next 2.6.0-testX BK snapshot on ftp.kernel.org, tonight or the next night.

I saw that message; I won't have the hardware until late next week, so I'll watch to see what happens with the snapshot/-testX situation by then.

I'll have about three weeks to use the machine for "whatever" before I have to start preparing it for its real purpose, so if there's any stress tests or anything I else I can run that would be useful let me know.