Re: libata testing on new machine with ICH5 and PDC20318

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 12:51:08 EST

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
I'm building a new server to go into a colo facility in about six weeks; the machine will have an Intel motherboard with an ICH5R (although I won't use the RAID features) and a Promise SATA150 TX4 (no RAID support). All six SATA ports will have Seagate 160GB Barracuda drives attached, and I plan on using software RAID-5 and LVM2 on top of the array.

I will be building the system using 2.6.0-test9, so will be using libata to drive the disks. If there's anything I can help with debugging/testing the ICH and/or Promise SATA drivers let me know... I see that recently Jeff posted a small patch for some SATA reset issues against -test9, so I'll certainly start out with that included.

The ICH5 should be fine. You may need to twiddle BIOS setup options, some users have reported that both drivers/ide and libata fail in certain BIOS modes. "Enhanced - SATA only" is usually the preferred mode, where feasible.

You need to make sure you get the Promise SATA fixes I just pushed to Linus. Presumably they will be available in the next 2.6.0-testX BK snapshot on ftp.kernel.org, tonight or the next night.

Jeff