Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 09:08:17 EST

Ingo Oeser wrote:

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 09:13, Hans Reiser wrote:

Timothy Miller wrote:

Nikita Danilov wrote:

It is called "a directory". :) There is no crime in putting

cc src/*.c

into Makefile. I think that Hans' query-result-object denoting multiple
objects is more like directory than single regular file.

So a file system query that results in multiple files generates a
"virtual directory"?

Remember that this code does not exist yet.....;-)

Sounds like it might be a good way to do it though.

Yes and this also solves the "refine feedback" problem: Just return
sth. useful in the stat->nlink for that directory
or even create a new stat-like syscall.

I don't understand what you are saying about nlink. Can you say more?

Now the issuer can decide on ANY level, whether to refine the search or
accept the result to present it in a listing.

A proper replacement for nlink is looong overdue.

But even with the crappy one, we have now, it can be decided since a
list of 65K is too much for a proper selection and cannot be handled by
a user. Somebody even said that every search pattern revealing more
than 50 records is not refined enough.

If the user is looking for only one record....

PS: Hans, we just saved you the funding on this topic.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
Hans