Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: Ingo Oeser
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 08:53:02 EST

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 09:13, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Timothy Miller wrote:
> > Nikita Danilov wrote:
> >> It is called "a directory". :) There is no crime in putting
> >>
> >> cc src/*.c
> >>
> >> into Makefile. I think that Hans' query-result-object denoting multiple
> >> objects is more like directory than single regular file.
> >
> > So a file system query that results in multiple files generates a
> > "virtual directory"?
>
> Remember that this code does not exist yet.....;-)
>
> Sounds like it might be a good way to do it though.

Yes and this also solves the "refine feedback" problem: Just return
sth. useful in the stat->nlink for that directory
or even create a new stat-like syscall.

Now the issuer can decide on ANY level, whether to refine the search or
accept the result to present it in a listing.

A proper replacement for nlink is looong overdue.

But even with the crappy one, we have now, it can be decided since a
list of 65K is too much for a proper selection and cannot be handled by
a user. Somebody even said that every search pattern revealing more
than 50 records is not refined enough.

PS: Hans, we just saved you the funding on this topic.

Regards

Ingo Oeser